donderdag 8 december 2011

Jonathan Emmett - De broek van Big


About Me!

A brief autobiography





I was born in Leicestershire in 1965, the son of a rig fitter and a primary school teacher.
I loved books from an early age and some of my earliest memories are of visiting our local library. The picture books that I borrowed then, including Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak, The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss and Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson have had a great influence on the picture books that I now write. But like many children of my generation, the author who made the biggest impression on my early childhood was Roald Dahl.
It wasn't until I was about fourteen years old that it occurred to me that I might write for a living. I tried to make the covers of my school rough books look like real book covers. I produced a whole Ruf Notes trilogy as well as A Complete Guide to Ruf Notes each with its own reviews and biographical details on the inside covers and publisher's blurb on the back. Of course, there was nothing inside the books – except the rough notes that I took during lessons!
It was while I was at college, studying architecture, that I first started developing my own illustrated texts, illustrating poems and lyrics that I’d written. Click here to see some of these early illustrations! Pleased with the results, I found myself spending more and more time on writing and illustration. Although I qualified as an architect, I found the job unsatisfying and began pursuing a career in children's books in my spare time, eventually going full-time in 1995, a few months before my thirtieth birthday.
As well as writing picture books such as Bringing Down the Moon, Someone Bigger, Pigs Might Fly and Ruby Flew Too, I also write and paper-engineer pop-up books. My books have won several awards including the Red House Children’s Book Award “Book for Younger Children” for Pigs Might Fly and the Kiekeboekprijs for Bringing Down the Moon.
I now live in Nottingham with my wife, Rachel, and my children, Max and Laura.

*

Geen opmerkingen: